Friday, June 15, 2012

Punctuation and Grammar and Usage, Oh My! Part 1


Confession: I am obsessed with punctuation. I adore it. I agonize over it. I have had a favorite punctuation mark since I was fourteen years old. (The semicolon. I love the semicolon like I love my dog.) And my favorite thing about punctuation is that a single, tiny mark can completely change the meaning of an entire sentence. 

Not all punctuation is this important, of course. In many cases a choice in punctuation isn’t a big deal. For example, I could have put a comma after “in many cases,” since those three words form an introductory adverbial phrase.* But I didn’t, because it’s optional and I didn’t want the pause.

But that last sentence—take a careful look—brings me to a punctuation question that is capable of sending me into raptures. This is the question of whether or not to put a comma before a “because” clause that follows a negative statement.** 

In other words, which of these sentences is punctuated correctly?

I didn’t go to the dance, because my suit was yellow.
I didn’t go to the dance because my suit was yellow.

Trick question! The answer is, it depends on whether or not this person attended the dance. The first one implies that they didn’t.*** The second implies that they did. 

When my Basic Editing Skills professor went over this question, I was baffled. It took me the full hour to catch on. So let me explain. The first one is fairly straightforward. This person didn’t go to the dance, and the reason they didn’t go was that they only have one suit and it is yellow, and for some reason that is a problem. Psshh. You would have rocked it, dude. Get over yourself.  

The second sentence implies that this person did attend the dance, but that they did so not because their suit was yellow, but rather for some unknown reason, like that they wanted to show off their new neon dreads. Hopefully, for the sake of clarity, the person who writes the second sentence follows up immediately with a clarifying sentence:

I didn’t go to the dance because my suit was yellow. I went because I wanted to show off my new neon dreads. 

See the difference? And it all hinges on that one little comma. How cool is that?? This is me in raptures over punctuation, people

Of course, it would be clearer, in the second case, for the author to retool the sentence so that the negative falls in the second half rather than being stuck to the verb, but honestly, who’s going to write

I went to the dance, not because my suit was yellow, but because I wanted to show off my new neon dreads. 

Um, no one. Fine, maybe John F. Kennedy. 

So the comma picks up the slack, for the win. You’re awesome, comma. Thanks for being a bro.

Do you have any punctuation questions that have been bugging you? Ask me in the comments—I’ll comment back if it’s a simple fix or do a post if it requires more depth (or is too awesome not to post about). 


*Chicago (16th ed) 6.36, “Commas with introductory adverbial phrases.”
** Chicago (16th ed.) 6.31, “Comma following main clause.”
***I’m a fan of using “they” as a generic singular pronoun, but I understand if this hurts your soul, and I apologize. I thought about using “he” here, but I have a female friend who would totally rock a yellow suit. Yes, Bridey, I’m talking about you.

8 comments:

  1. Gah you are a funny internet entertaining grammar post goddess!!! I has a new favorite blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that one gave me the shivers.

    Ok here's one that was bugging me recently. I was editing a story for someone and this sentence tripped me up. This particular writer's first language is not English, so I mostly try to make sure his writing reads like a native's.

    "Even less than that of accidental death he had understood the meaning of murder"

    I wanted to change this to "Even less than that of accidental death *had he* understood the meaning of murder"

    I think this has to do with "inversion" but frankly this is getting into esoteric territory for me. I don't usually have to explain the vaguaries of sentence construction to a non-native. It just sounded off to my ear. Do you know why this one is the preferred structure?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you so much! And I've already agreed with Sarah in other conversations that you are definitely The Grammar Goddess. Seriously, while I was reading her novel, I kept saying "Well, I'm not really sure how this should be, but Jess will know!" I finally just had to abbreviate it down to "JWK" because I said it so often. :-) So, yes. This rocks, and you rock. (This rocks because you rock?) Love ya!

    I wish I could pick a favorite punctuation mark though... It used to be the em dash but now I'm just not sure. I love colons too! And semicolons. Decisions.

    And if you can't tell from the above, this is Jen. Fauset's my high school nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good editing choice--"had he" is correct. It would be even clearer, though less stylistic, to just turn it all around: "He had understood the meaning of murder even less than that of accidental death."

    You're right about it being an inversion. This type is called "adverbial fronting." I found a nice explanation here: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/k-lee7/www/kesl/writ/inversion_sv.pdf. This one seems specifically to be an "adverbial expression of extent or degree."

    Isn't it glorious to have names for grammatical elements?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually know immediately what the answer is, but sometimes something a bit less-common pops up.

      Delete
  5. Haha, Jen, it took me a sec to realize you were you.

    Punctuation! It is the best thing! I'm DEFINITELY going to do a post sometime about dashes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, so long as it only took a second. ;-) And I am SOO EXCITED for your post on dashes. I'll probably have to keep a copy of it somewhere...

      Delete
  6. I would TOTALLY rock the hell out of that yellow suit. Next time you and I go dancing, it's on.

    ReplyDelete